Do you think it is possible to truly live in JOY?
I KNOW that it is! AND I have had my fair share of difficulties in life. That is why I write and coach using the ancient teachings of Yoga as the basis of all that I do, because they are what enabled me to find true happiness and live it every day.
Years ago my life was anything but joyful as I dealt with a rocky marriage, a colicky baby, and an impending move away from my career in Hollywood, friends, my horse and all things familiar. Depression was setting in and things weren’t looking good.
I was in a master’s program at the time studying Spiritual Psychology and practicing physical yoga for stress relief. That year, I wrote my thesis on ‘Joy Therapy’ – a plan of action that I imagined would bring me back to happiness. It was pretty good, but I kept searching for more. I dove into the deeper teachings of Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras and there I found a treasure trove of directions for managing every stress life could possibly throw our way. The Yoga Sutras are the foundational text for ‘inner’ yoga practice.
Over the past 17 years, I have practiced living these teachings as I continued through grief, loss, anger, depression, anxiety, single parenting and more. The principles of True Yoga have always brought me back to center. Of course I still have down days, times when I lose my strength and faith and feel sad or frustrated by life. But the net is there under me when I fall. With effort, commitment, and trust the practices of inner and outer yoga have never failed me.
Eventually I realized that my thesis on Joy Therapy was actually very similar to the path to freedom outlined in the Yoga Sutras and I started counseling based solely on their spiritual wisdom. At its core, Yoga is a spiritual practice and after living it in my own life and sharing it with hundreds of clients, I now have tons of proof that it holds every answer we need to live a happy, fulfilling life. No matter what you are challenged by, you do NOT have to be limited by old experiences, beliefs or patterns. You can be free and joyful now.
This is what I want to share with you – a soul-centered approach and application of Yoga Therapy, that helps you remember that you are a Spark of Spirit and that your life can be filled with love, beauty, peace and joy!
What some clients have to say about me…
“I trust Jennie because she is one of those rare authentic people who practices what she teaches. She is matter-of-fact and unshakable. I can tell her anything and it is received without judgement, just with an open heart. Jennie has done her own work and is not afraid of the shadow. She is able to hold space for me even in my darkest moments.” M.E.
“I trust Jennie because she says what she means and always has my highest good at heart.” A.R.
“Jennie is easy to trust because her strength and reliability is seen in her eyes.” M.S.
“Jennie is integrity personified. There is nothing I would ever hesitate to entrust to her.” L.K.
A few more things about me
My first yoga class ever was in Santa Monica, CA with Power Yogi Bryan Kest. From that day, I knew that yoga would be in my life forever. I have studied Astanga, Kundalini, Vinyasa, Kripalu, Yin, Restorative and so much more.
I practiced all the way through my first pregnancy. Now my son does yoga too.
My favorite physical postures (asana) are balances! I love to do them on the side of cliffs in Hawaii. It makes my husband very nervous.
Yoga Meditation is my spiritual practice. Combining energy control, concentration and devotion, it is what keeps me grounded and able to move beyond the tough hits life sends. It was grief that led me to deeper study of the spiritual aspects of the Yoga Sutras. Sadly, my second child died at birth but Yoga Meditation became my therapy and helped me heal.
What I know for sure…
God is Love. And when we can heal the wounds in our hearts and open ourselves in meditation to the Source of all Love, a profound experience awaits.
Personal Mission Statement
I will make my love greater than my pain or fear, and I will help others do the same in any way that I can.
First and foremost my guru is Paramahansa Yogananda. He wrote the classic Autobiography of a Yogi. If you haven’t read it, you must! It changed my life and instilled the understanding and love for meditation in me. His wisdom guides me daily.
Additionally I have been blessed to study with Amma (Mata Amritanandamayi), Nischala Joy Devi, Joseph LePage, Richard Freeman, Gary Kraftsow, Rama Jyoti Vernon, Richard Miller, Bryan Kest, Baron Baptiste, Beryl Bender Birch, Amy Weintraub, Neil Pearson, Krishna Das, Shakti Gawain, Anodea Judith, Sat Bir Khalsa, Antonio Sausys, Laura Kupperman, Erich Schiffman, Mukunda Stiles, Marc Halpern, Maria Mendola, Durga Leela, and Max Strom.
Also the writings of these fabulous teachers have inspired my practice: Sri Swami Satchidananda, B.K.S. Iyengar, T.K.V. Desikachar, Donna Farhi, Stephen Cope, Sally Kempton, Judith Hanson Lasater, Michael Singer, Wayne Dyer, Mark Nepo, Charlotte Bell, Gabor Mate, David Frawley, Georg Feuerstein, Stephen Levine, Thich Nhat Hanh, Vasant Lad, Eknath Easwaran, Brene Brown, Ram Dass, Bernard Bouanchaud, Henri Nouwen and so many more.
There is probably a Sanskrit word for surfing. If you know it, will you email me? When I am not coaching or writing these days, you will find me on a wave. If I am lucky, my son and husband are there too. I grew up in Southern California playing Beach Boys music, but it took me until I was in my 40’s before I had the nerve to try surfing myself. I wish I hadn’t waited so long!
A few things from the resume...
- Author of True Yoga: Practicing With the Yoga Sutras for Happiness and Spiritual Fulfillment (Llewellyn Worldwide)
- 20 years experience in Yoga Therapy & Practice, Meditation Studies & Self Development
- Yoga Studio Owner for 9 years (Stillness in Motion Studio for Yoga & Wellness, Newburyport, MA)
- Certified Process Therapist (aka Somatic Therapy or Body Centered Psychotherapy)
- B.A. in Journalism (Cum Laude) Pepperdine University
- Master’s Degree Candidate: Spiritual Psychology
- Writer for Huffington Post, Mind Body Green, Yoga Therapy Today Magazine, Yogapedia, Urban Wellness Magazine, Yoga Digest, Common Ground Magazine, Gaia, Yogi Times, Wellness.com, Conscious Moms Online, BlogHer, Living the Truth.com, and Yoga Finder.
- International Retreat Facilitator
- International Speaker on the Benefits & Practices of Yoga, Meditation, Mindfulness, Wellness
- Workshop Developer & Facilitator: Yoga of Love & Devotion, Gratitude Yoga, Yoga of Imagination, Yoga of Conscious Trust, Implementing Conscious Change, Sri Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras: the 8 Limbs of Yoga, The 10 Components of Wellness, Steps to Consciousness, Authenticity and Wellness, Conquering Fear, Chakra Clearing, and Opening to More Joy
- Professional Member of International Association of Yoga Therapists, Yoga Alliance, National Association of Professional Women and the Screen Actors Guild
- Training with Inner Peace Yoga Therapy and Integrative Yoga Therapy
- Yoga Alliance RYT-500